Saturday 16 February 2013

Book Review : Monsters Of Men (#3 Chaos Walking Trilogy) by Patrick Ness

Hello.
Finally, I'm done with this book! I think I finally am in a reading slump.
I have to say, it feels strangely new to me.

Lets get right to it.

Genre: Science Fiction, Dystopia


For those of you who aren't familiar with the Chaos Walking Trilogy, let me tell you a bit about this series.
Bear in mind, I won't touch on plot details with this particular book because i don't want to spoil it for those who haven't read it yet and wish to.

This book falls into the Dystopia category. It follows the story from Todd's point of view. Todd is a boy living in Prentisstown; a town with plenty of men but no women. He is the youngest boy and therefore the only boy who is not yet considered to be a man. In this world, New World as they call it, all men have been infected with a virus, or disease that enables them to hear each others thoughts; often called their Noise. One day, Todd and his dog, Manchee discover a place with something they have never come across before, silence. And with this silence comes a whole package of new things, the breakthrough of disasters, or perhaps, the truth.

That is basically what the series is about.

What did I think of Monsters Of Men?

In this book there are three points of view. I really appreciated the fact that each of the three had their customary font. I thought that was cool.

I really the new point of view introduced in this book. It was fresh and i enjoyed it even though i was slightly confused at first.

As with the previous books in this series, I like how certain effects have been applied to ensure that the reader has the full-effect awesomeness. Explosion sounds are written in bold and large font. 'Noise' has a different font as well. Nice touch.

What can I say about Patrick Ness's writing?
It's not poetic or very complicated and I love it. It's interesting that he chose to spell word like this 'Concentrayshun' (concentration) when he was writing Todd's point of view; Todd happens to be illiterate.
I've never come across such a thing and I think it is genius. There are phrases that appear to be repetitive but I wasn't bothered by it (too) much.

Pacing-wise, the pacing is fast; sometimes too fast. Too-fast pacing has a negative effect on me. When it's too fast, the book feels too slow. I just stop appreciating every little twist in the plot. I go "Meh, this is getting old". Sometimes (sometimes), the plot works better when it is simple.

The villains are crazy. I hate the Mayor. I hate Mistress Coyle. Patrick Ness has done a great job. I have never hated fictional characters so much.

Todd was frustrating sometimes. He got fooled again and again and AGAIN. No. Not good. No.

How was the ending? I know some people that absolutely hate it. Personally, I think it was a good conclusion to the series. It was satisfying, made sense, believable. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Overall, 4 stars out of 5.

I recommend it. Read it guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment